Rollout of Gitlab CI

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Oct 3 09:42:05 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:27 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As those of you who watch and work on Frameworks repositories will be
> aware, we've just rolled out the first set of native Gitlab CI builds.
>
> These builds are at this time Linux only, but do include support for both
> regular branch builds as well as for Merge Requests. It is anticipated that
> Windows, FreeBSD and Android builds will follow in the near future - there
> are a few extra things we need to get completed first before they can be
> rolled out. As part of carrying out the build the scripts will also gather
> Code Coverage and Code Quality information using gcovr and cppcheck
> respectively, and this will be made available to you within the Gitlab
> interface.
>
> With regards to availability to projects outside Frameworks, projects that
> depend only on Frameworks (and no other KDE project) may enable CI for
> their project by adding the necessary .kde-ci.yml and .gitlab-ci.yml files
> to their repositories. I anticipate that once the necessary changes have
> been made to the "seed" jobs used to provision the initial artifacts it
> should be possible for all projects to rollout support (although i'd like
> to add ccache support to the system to ensure larger project builds
> complete promptly first).
>
> If anyone would like to help out with getting the seed jobs ready please
> let me know as this is definitely something that the community can assist
> with (and will also help with easing the rollout of Windows, FreeBSD and
> Android builds).
>
> For those projects that do go ahead with enabling Gitlab CI support please
> ensure you add the necessary .kde-ci.yml file beforehand, specifying in it
> the necessary Dependencies, as well as the necessary Options your project
> needs to customise for their build. A list of all the possible values in a
> .kde-ci.yml file can be found at
> https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-utilities/-/blob/master/config-template.yml#L10
>
> For those projects that are not yet able to enable the system, it is
> strongly encouraged that you go ahead and get the .kde-ci.yml files ready
> in your repository now - especially if other projects depend on your
> project. This will allow the rollout of the CI system to those projects to
> proceed much more smoothly (otherwise we will need to get them added to
> those projects which have other projects depending on them).

I have now prepared a list of all the projects that fall under this
umbrella of being the dependency of another project -
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-management/-/merge_requests/3
It would be appreciated if people could please review this for any issues.

Please note that it is intentional Frameworks is missing as that will be
built by the 'Frameworks' seed.
With regards to the PIM seed, please note that Zanshin, Kube and SInk have
all been included in this, to allow for the Independent Releases seed to
minimize the number of PIM projects it builds.

If your project is included in any of those and you have not added a
.kde-ci.yml file, it is imperative you do it *now*. If you do not then you
will block the rollout of Gitlab CI for non-Frameworks projects.

At some point in the near future we will also transition all of the
references to 'master' in the seed files to '@latest' to allow for those
branches to be resolved and taken from
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata/-/blob/master/branch-rules.yml

> Please note that this new infrastructure replaces all existing Gitlab CI
> jobs we provided in the initial testing phase, and those should be removed
> (much like how I did for Frameworks) when switching to the new setup.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Thanks,
Ben