next Wednesday 10 Nov. 19:00 CET | KDE Eco community meetup

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Fri Nov 5 12:14:53 GMT 2021

Hello energy-efficient FOSS enthusiasts!

The 2nd Wednesday of the month is quickly approaching and this is a gentle
reminder of our next KDE Eco community meetup.

*When*: Wednesday 10 November, 19:00 CET (UTC+1) (ics event attached)

*Where*: https://meet.kde.org/b/jos-l59-2i1-9yt

*Topic*: Standard Usage Scenarios -- with a presentation by Franziska Mai from
Umwelt Campus Birkenfeld plus discussion with the community (see details
below)

*Goal*: To begin planning standard usage scenarios for first measure-athon of
Kate, GCompris, and other free software at the Q1 2022 Sprint (likely
February) at KDAB Berlin's community lab

_Details_

At the last meetup we learned about various tools (Actiona, xdotool, etc.) for
emulating user behavior. The topic of this meetup will be defining and
emulating standard usage scenarios specifically.

A standard usage scenario reflects the typical functions of an application,
with the frequency of those functions taken into account. Standard usage
scenarios are central to measuring the energy consumption of a piece of
software.

Franziska Mai from the Umwelt Campus Birkenfeld has kindly agreed to present
on her experience implementing standard usage scenarios for her work on the
energy consumption of various operating systems.

Following the presentation we will brainstorm the typical functions that will
define a standard usage scenario for Kate, GCompris, and other software of
interest to the FOSS community. The goal is to begin planning for a measure-
athon at the Q1 2022 Sprint at KDAB Berlin. This energy consumption data will
be essential for identifying ways to make KDE/free software more energy
efficient and for recognizing FOSS as environmentally friendly software with
Blauer Engel eco-certification :)

FYI: I will send an email to the energy efficiency mailing list and Matrix room
early next week regarding the KDAB lab set-up Sprint in December, which will
likely take place on one-day on Saturday 11 December. For maximum safety, it
will be a 2G + test event. All are invited to join, so pencil it in in your
calendars if you are interested!

I am very excited we will make the KDAB Berlin community measurement lab and
the first of hopefully many free software measure-athons a reality in the very
near future!

Cheers,

Joseph

--

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!