Technical question on font rendering (gamma correction)

Richard Lane richrocksmyworld at googlemail.com
Thu May 27 15:53:26 BST 2021

Hi,

Since Qt 5.9 .otf fonts have been rendered with alpha-blending and gamma corrected in Qt apps / environments. The only other rendering engine to do this is Skia (used in Chrome browser etc.).
I have a hardware calibrator device for my monitor.
My question is two-part:
1) What real monitor gamma value does KDE assume to do the gamma correction? 2.2?
2) I have noticed that a slightly darker gamma on my monitor is preferable, as the desktop looks slightly washed out at the default. Is it better to:
a) calibrate my monitor to 2.4 instead of 2.2
b) calibrate my monitor to 2.2, and use the KDE software slider in system settings to reduce gamma from 1.0 to 0.9?
thanks
Richard