Re: Plasma LeakGuard 💧

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 14:45:06 GMT 2021

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:40 PM Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel at yandex.ru> wrote:

> I think the most interesting thing here is to know what plasmashell developers
> think about it. Is it perhaps possible they don't have a reproducer for memory
> leak, and you have it? In which case it seems more productive to fix the bug.
>
> Please, get in touch with plasmashell devs, I'm sure they will be glad to get
> any help in addressing that sort of issues.
>
> On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 15:34 +0100, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> > The thing is that plasmashell isn't always started via its service, at least
> > this is the case on my system. I shall look into that.

> > > (note: I'm just a random passer-by contributor)
> > >
> > > I think you better discuss this with plasmashell developers. Clearly, memory
> > > leaks need to be fixed instead of working them around. Although if they deem
> > > such tool as you suggest necessary, to me it seems easier to implement by
> > > creating a plasmashell user-level service with `MemoryMax=` variable set and
> > > being restartable (or, in case they wouldn't want to depend on systemd, I
> > > imagine it should be available with bare cgroups too).

I don't think this will ever be part of the solution. I've never seen
this problem myself, but in the end we just need to remove leaks
rather than just restarting plasma. I guess this is probably useful
for the original developer, so good for him.

Note this app will make you lose whatever you're doing with the shell
at the time of the restart.

The fact that there's this file in the project, makes me question the
intent of the project altogether:
https://gitlab.com/es20490446e/plasma-leakguard/-/blob/master/info/jokes.md

Aleix