AudioTube in KDEReview

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Sun Jun 20 23:26:55 BST 2021

> Hi everyone!
>
> [...]
>
> The repository is located here:
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/audiotube

Hi! I was just trying it out. I am using KDE Neon user edition, and building
with CMake wasn’t problematic. ytmusicapi could be installed with pip.

When I launch it, search something, and try to play one of the results, I get
this error:

david at doro:~/kde/audiotube/build$ bin/audiotube
[youtube] 2ZA27qdiX10: Downloading webpage
ERROR: 2ZA27qdiX10: YouTube said: Unable to extract video data
DownloadError: ERROR: 2ZA27qdiX10: YouTube said: Unable to extract video data

At:
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/youtube_dl/YoutubeDL.py(595): trouble
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/youtube_dl/YoutubeDL.py(625): report_error
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/youtube_dl/YoutubeDL.py(821): extract_info

david at doro:~/kde/audiotube/src$ youtube-dl --version
2020.03.24

After updating youtube-dl via pip (was installed via apt), it worked.

---

I like the minimalism in the user interface. Overall I don’t like it, because
of the typical Qt Quick issues: resizing stuff doesn’t work, missing auto-
raise on buttons, ...

Unfortunately it does not have a volume control, it can’t pause with the space
bar, and it is not controllable through Plasma media player controls. Like
already noted, seeking does not work.

I don’t understand the playlist(?). When I start a track, I expect it to end
at the end. But there is an arrow button in the bottom-right, and when I click
that I see the album art and something like a playlist with my track at the
top, followed by tons of completely unrelated videos. I can remove videos from
the playlist, but I can’t add videos? I also can’t reorder it. Can I make it
play only the video I have selected?

I suggest to make the user interface a bit more descriptive.

When I select a video from the search results, there is a question box like
“Video playback not supported [play only audio]”. These boxes are
accumulating. If I scroll through the results list by click-and-drag, every
touched video adds such a box. When I click it, it appears to attempt to play
all these videos. (But without telling me which.)

---

I am currently searching for an alternative to YouTube in the web browser,
because of this auto-pause feature for music videos. If I can’t use the web
interface with ads because of this, well, I use your new program. :)

Cheers, David