Can we get tags and tarballs for the KDE Qt patch collection

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jun 8 12:15:21 BST 2021

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 10:52 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 4:52 PM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > El dilluns, 7 de juny de 2021, a les 20:46:25 (CEST), Nate Graham va
> escriure:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > The Fedora packagers were mentioning to me today that it would be a lot
> > > easier for them to ship Qt with our patch collection if we made tags
> and
> > > tarballs. Is this something we could look into doing?
> >
> > We explicitly do not want to make releases
> >   https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection#Will_there_be_releases.3F
> >
> > Making a release means having to use of a version number, and any
> version number we use will be wrong.
> >
> > Don't think this as a product, think of it as a central place where
> patches are collected.
> >
> > If they want a tarball because using git is a problem, they can always
> use
> https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qtbase/-/archive/kde/5.15/qtbase-kde-5.15.tar.bz2
> ?
> >

> You *already* are using version numbers and bumped it to 5.15.3:
>
> https://blog.neon.kde.org/2021/06/04/kde-neons-qt-is-now-built-from-kdes-git-branches/
>
> This is unreasonable if you're going to make us need fixes from there.
> I'd rather we didn't pretend this is something other than what it is:
> a community maintained uplift of Qt 5.15 while Plasma works to move to
> Qt 6.
>
> Also, that URL is unstable, you'd get different things each time you'd
> fetch from it based on the HEAD of that branch.

Gitlab offers stable URLs based on a specific hash if absolutely required,
see:
https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qtbase/-/archive/2a2f3cd61f59ccec0eecb09e4a8795d7322edfcb/qtbase-2a2f3cd61f59ccec0eecb09e4a8795d7322edfcb.tar.bz2

Please note however that my previous comment on no automated access still
applies.

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Cheers,
Ben