I need some git advice

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Jan 30 23:12:13 GMT 2021

El dissabte, 30 de gener de 2021, a les 3:24:58 CET, Glen Ditchfield va escriure:
> I'd like to commit some changes to the akonadi repo, but my grasp of git is
> not firm.  The situation is
>
>  * gabrielsf's commits 404bf743 and 805b31cc to master made most autotests
> work.  I'd like to get them onto the release branch without complicating
> future merges of release to master.
>
>  * I have MR 47 that I would like to merge to release and thence to master.
>
>  * In my local repo's branch I cherry-picked gabrielsf's commits and changed a
> test.  I haven't pushed the test up to my fork of akonadi, but I'd like to get
> the change into release and master.
>
> How should I proceed?

I am not sure I understand what's the question, so apologies if I'm not answering what you're asking ^_^

What i would do (not an akonadi developer, adding kdepim mailing list in case they want to comment otherwise) is this:

* If you're really really really sure the commits will work fine in release/20.12, just git cherry-pick -x them and push to the server
 - if you're only 99% sure, git cherry-pick -x them, create a MR, wait for CI to pass and then Merge that branch

* Once the previous step has been done rebase your MR 47 branch on top of the new release/20.12

* Once you MR has been merged, merge release/20.12 into master

Cheers,
  Albert