PSA: Please do not use KDEFrameworkCompilerSettings for non-KF projects

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jan 20 16:10:03 GMT 2021

Am Mittwoch, 20. Januar 2021, 16:51:54 CET schrieb Volker Krause:
> How about we try to come up with an alternative solution for what looks like
> a wide-spread demand for centrally maintained high-quality compiler
> settings instead then? That might also make any kind of enforcement to not
> use this outside of Frameworks unnecessary :)

I have some idea how to extend the normal KDECompilerSettings to provide the
option for this, by checking ECM_GLOBAL_FIND_VERSION to activate the addition
of stricter settings, while having some cmake vars which set before including
KDECompilerSettings allow to overrule that (compare also how KDECMakeSettings
has variable flags to control what scope of settings is activated, like
KDE_SKIP_RPATH_SETTINGS).

So people not bumping min ECM required in their projects see old behaviour
(like released tarballs), anyone bumping to a certain higher version (usually
where things got added) opts in, those variables set before allow to opt out
still for certain things if not wanted.

Planning to turn a first draft into a MR tonight, for further discussion.

Cheers
Friedrich