blurrish toolbar icons and unified title and toolbar on macOs

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Fri Dec 24 09:48:07 GMT 2021

Hi all,

we've got a problem reported where a macOs user complained about blurrish
icons and texts in the main toolbar on his iMac 27" 5K. The problem is also
reproducible for other 4K monitors and for macbook's Retina displays.

I did a screenshot of LabPlot, Kate and Numbers:
https://imgur.com/a/IR0iVNj

Here, crystal clear icons and texts in Kate and very blurrish in LabPlot. In
both applications

QApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling);
QApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_UseHighDpiPixmaps);

are set. What else are we missing in LabPlot? Does somebody has a hint here?

Also, while looking into this issue I became aware of
QMainWindow::setUnifiedTitleAndToolbarOnMac(). When setting it to 'true' the
toolbar merges together with the window title bar which seems to be the
standard on mac. On the screenshot above I set it to 'true' in LabPlot and
it's similar to "Numbers" now. Kate and Dolphin on mac don't seem to set this
property, I didn't check any other applications.

Should we add something like

#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
setUnifiedTitleAndToolbarOnMac(true);
#endif

somewhere in KMainWindow so all KDE applications benefit from it automatically
and have a similar look?

Regards,
Alexander