Merge stable to master vs cherry-picking

Ahmad Samir a.samirh78 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:39:09 GMT 2021

On 9/12/21 12:08, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 10:38 PM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, 8. Dezember 2021, 07:44:32 CET schrieb Ben Cooksley:
>>> This is why I have been pushing for people to use @stable in their
>>> .kde-ci.yml files - even for the 'master' branch.
>>> It is much simpler for people if you can use stable/released dependencies
>>> when conducting development.
>>
>> Other than developers the CI though has no issues building all the deps
>> from
>> the master branches, right? So I wonder about the relationship here.
>>

> The relationship is that developers may accidentally end up using new API
> or other functionality that only exists in current master.
> That prevents people from using distribution packagers to develop on our
> software, and increases the barrier to entry.

But that doesn't apply to the Frameworks? since there is no stable branch.

Newcomers are advised to either use kdesrc-build (and expect lots of building to fix anything in a
repo that's 30-80 layers deep, which isn't that newcomer-friendly as you usually end up having to
fix a load of stuff to get that big number of repos to build, the firs time around), or use a distro
that packages daily master git snapshot (e.g. OpenSuse Tumbleweed, or other distros that cater to
that workflow, i.e. a rolling distro with frequent master git builds).

[...]

Regards,
--
Ahmad Samir