Merge stable to master vs cherry-picking

Slawek Kaplonski slawek at kaplonski.pl
Wed Dec 8 07:15:25 GMT 2021

Dzień dobry,

On środa, 8 grudnia 2021 00:01:18 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 7 de desembre de 2021, a les 23:20:19 (CET), Slawek Kaplonski va
escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On poniedziałek, 6 grudnia 2021 19:20:20 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El dilluns, 6 de desembre de 2021, a les 7:07:50 (CET), Harald Sitter va
> >
> > escriure:
> > >
> > > I don't agree that cherry-picking is easier.
> > >
> > > Example: I want to fix a bug in kmail.
> > >
> > > Fixing it in master means i have to build a zillion of repositories
> > > before
> > > even trying to start fixing the bug, it may also happen that once I built
> > > master i can't reproduce the bug because master has been fixed for
> > > various
> > > reasons (re-architecture, fixed the bug and forgot to cherry-pick, etc)
> > >
> > > Fixing it in the stable branch is much easier, just build the kmail repo
> > > and
> > > fix the bug.
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something but in case which You described, You will
still
> > need to build all that from master branch to propose patch from stable to
> > master. Otherwise how You will know if patch needs to be in master or
maybe
> > it's already fixed in other way there?
>
> That's the maintainer problem/responsibility (i.e. not mine)

Ok, thx. I was just curious about it:)
I'm new in KDE development so I don't know its processes well yet.
I mostly contribute to the OpenStack projects where we always do patches for
master first and then cherry-pick them to stable branches. But we are using
Gerrit there so the whole workflow is slightly different :)

--
Pozdrawiam
Sławek Kapłoński
slawek at kaplonski.pl