Merge stable to master vs cherry-picking

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Dec 6 18:20:20 GMT 2021

El dilluns, 6 de desembre de 2021, a les 7:07:50 (CET), Harald Sitter va escriure:
> I'm all for cherry picking. It's both easier and makes sure fixes are
> actually available in master.

I don't agree that cherry-picking is easier.

Example: I want to fix a bug in kmail.

Fixing it in master means i have to build a zillion of repositories before even trying to start fixing the bug, it may also happen that once I built master i can't reproduce the bug because master has been fixed for various reasons (re-architecture, fixed the bug and forgot to cherry-pick, etc)

Fixing it in the stable branch is much easier, just build the kmail repo and fix the bug.

Cheers,
  Albert