RFC: Split out project version in CMakeLists into a separate file to simplify downstream snapshot builds

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:39:26 BST 2021

Hello all,

In the Fedora KDE SIG, we're working on setting up a process to build
nightly snapshots of KDE software so that we can build and test
changes across the stack easily. However, a hurdle that we've
encountered early on is that it's difficult to pull out the version
from the CMakeLists and use it to prepare a snapshot version for RPMs
because they need to be evaluated by CMake to generate the correct
value. What I'd like to ask is to consider splitting out the version
into a simple text file that CMakeLists would source to set the
version.

This makes it much easier for us to parse it to generate the snapshot
version string for our spec files when we're dynamically updating them
for new snapshot builds. I've seen a few projects do this, so I know
that it's possible. It's just more of a question if this is something
we can have as a style thing for KDE projects to make it simpler to be
able to continuously build KDE software for testing.

I'm also open to better ideas if there are any, too. :)

Best regards,
Neal