Supported C++ standard (aka compiler version) Overview Table for various distros?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Oct 14 14:49:31 BST 2020

On Wednesday, 14 October 2020 12:07:04 CEST Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 5:33 AM Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I would like to push for C++17 usage in KDevelop to make it more fun to
> > develop there. This is an extragear app, so I believe we can take this
> > decision separately from the surrounding KDE ecosystem.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there's an overview page similar to [1], but for Linux
> > distributions?

> I think you'll be generally fine.

That ^^

FreeBSD on x86-es and arm64 ships with clang 8, 10 or 11 depending on the
FreeBSD version; everything supported is clang 10-or-later.

FreeBSD on PowerPC (Power 9) is gcc -- gcc 9 or later I think.

OpenBSD latest release lists clang 8 and gcc 4 and gcc 3 .. let's assume /
hope they use clang as the compiler for KDE bits.

OpenIndiana / Illumos (OpenSolaris) lists gcc 7 as the base compiler.

Linuxes not in "the big five" that I happen to have on-hand:
- KaOS (Debian-ish) has gcc 9.3.
- Manjaro (Arch) has clang-10 and gcc 10.
- ArcoLinux (Arch) has gcc 10.
- Netrunner 19 (Debian) has clang-7 and gcc 8, this is the oldest distro I'm
still running, mostly for its pre-Qt 5.12 state.

I think you'll be fine, even on obscure or outdated systems.

[ade]