Proposal: make squash-merging the default behavior for gitlab MRs

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Mon Oct 12 15:33:56 BST 2020

So to close the loop on this discussion, it seems like folks are not
generally in favor of my proposal, for various sensible and
well-considered reasons. I will beef up our GitLab documentation to add
more information about how to use a curated commit history approach and
will drop the idea to squash by default.

We will need to commit to vigilance when merging MRs--our own or someone
else's--to make sure that merge requests which don't have curated commit
history are squashed to avoid accidentally polluting the git history.

Note that using the "Apply suggestion" feature in the Gitlab web UI
creates new commits in the merge request. These must be either manually
squashed into the commits of a commit-curated MR, or squashed at
merge-time for an un-commit-curated MR.

Nate