KDiagram - Persistent FTBFS for stable branch on Windows

Francis Herne mail at flherne.uk
Mon Oct 12 14:16:01 BST 2020

On Monday, 12 October 2020 10:47:12 BST Stefan BrĂ¼ns wrote:
> On Montag, 12. Oktober 2020 11:37:10 CEST Harald Sitter wrote:

> > > Hey Ben,
> > >
> > > can you link me to such a CI failure? Then I could try to blind-fix it,
> > > as
> > > I don't have a KDE-on-windows setup here. But maybe it's simple enough
> > > fix even without that.
> >
> > Just FTR for everyone's benefit:
> > https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Windows#
> > Vi rtual_Machines
>
> "You may use the software in the virtual hard disk image only to demonstrate
> and internally evaluate it.  You may not use the software for commercial
> purposes. You may not use the softwarein a live operating environment."
>
> Using it as a development platform, even for trivial bugfixes is very likely
> not covered by theses terms?
>
> Since when are we actively encouraging copyright infringements?
>
> Regards, Stefan

I would argue that this case comes under "internally evaluate" -- we're only
using it to test its compatibility with our software, and not as a platform
for development in general. I think the preinstalled development tools
strongly imply that's an intended use-case; what would be the point otherwise?

In any case, I'd generally look at the Windows build log or backtrace but then
make the actual code changes from Linux because I've got all the tools set up
nicely there.

The question is less clear for people paid to work on KDE software, where the
"commercial purposes" clause might apply. Even then, the chain from testing on
a Windows image to any particular commercial purpose is pretty tortuous.

-- Francis H [not a lawyer]