Proposal: make squash-merging the default behavior for gitlab MRs

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 15:26:02 BST 2020

Taking stock of the responses so far, it doesn't seem like there's much
enthusiasm for the original proposal. That's fine, and I can understand
the desire to push people to improve their git skills. It seems like
there is some agreement on an alternative, which various people have
proposed:

On 10/5/20 10:38 AM, Ömer Fadıl USTA wrote:
> my suggestion is not making squash default but implement a way that
> will pops up a question if there are more then 1 commits in mr so user
> can select on that time.

GitLab already *kind of* offers this, in the form of the "Squash
commits" checkbox next to the merge button. Apparently it's not obvious
enough though, because I can think of a bunch of cases of multi-commit
MRs with mostly garbage commits accidentally not being squashed when
merging.

Maybe this is just a teething issue that we'll overcome with more
experience?

Nate