Proposal: make squash-merging the default behavior for gitlab MRs

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Oct 5 15:21:26 BST 2020

On Freitag, 2. Oktober 2020 23:38:20 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El divendres, 2 d’octubre de 2020, a les 21:19:02 CEST, Konstantin Kharlamov
va escriure:
> > On Fri, 2020-10-02 at 11:39 -0600, Nate Graham wrote:
> > > Accordingly, I think squash-merging makes sense as the default value to
> > > avoid this. People who are comfortable with the "curated MR commit
> > > history" workflow will of course still be able to turn it off. IMO it
> > > makes more sense to ask experts to turn it off than to ask newcomers and
> > > novices to turn it on.
> >
> > Please don't. This will result in having many MRs with a valid history to
> > get squashed just because people would keep forgetting to uncheck it.
> > Given there are much more people who aware of how to work with git
> > history, I think this would hurt more than occasionally merging a
> > non-squashed MR from a newcomer.
> +1, squash by default is bound to break more things than fix.

I agree, the damage of an accidentally squashed set of properly done commits
is bigger than an accidentally integrated fixup commit.

Even better might be to force an explicit decision by not having a default for
this at all, e.g. by offering "Rebase" and "Squash + Rebase" actions next to
each other.

Regards,
Volker