Proposal: make squash-merging the default behavior for gitlab MRs

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri Oct 2 18:39:37 BST 2020

Hello folks,
I've been told that our Sysadmins have developed some tooling capable of
checking the "Squash when merging" checkbox by default for new Merge
Requests. This would be a downstream solution to
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/222175.

I'd like to propose that this be done as a sane default for new Merge
Requests. Now, personally I have gotten used to the alternative "curate
your MR's git history" approach and have written documentation for it at
https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/GitLab#Curating_your_merge_request_commit_history.

However, it remains a fairly advanced workflow which is challenging for
newcomers, drive-by-developers, and people not as familiar with git. For
these people, squash-merging makes much more sense, and when they forget
to check that checkbox and someone merges their work, the result is tons
of garbage commits in the git history.

Accordingly, I think squash-merging makes sense as the default value to
avoid this. People who are comfortable with the "curated MR commit
history" workflow will of course still be able to turn it off. IMO it
makes more sense to ask experts to turn it off than to ask newcomers and
novices to turn it on.

Thoughts?

Nate