Getting involved in SoK

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Nov 6 01:59:55 GMT 2020

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Mariam Fahmy <mariamfahmy66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am Mariam, I am studying computer engineering, I am beginner and I want to get involved in the open source community, I have good knowledge in c++, OOP, data structure and algorithms.
> I have read all projects provided by SoK, I am interested in Plasma discover rpm-ostree backend, what contributions shall I start related to this project to fully understand it and get familiar with it?
> Any advice will be very helpful.
> Thanks in advance

Hi Mariam,
Glad you are interested in this project, I'm one of the people who put
the idea forward.

I'd say a good first step would be to install the project locally and
tinker with it a bit:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/discover/

You can also read up on how discover backends work within the codebase.
This would be a good starting point:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/discover/-/blob/master/libdiscover/resources/AbstractResourcesBackend.h

For any further questions don't hesitate to ask directly.
Aleix