Qt4 on Cygwin

Enrico Forestieri forenr at tlc.unipr.it
Tue Jul 24 06:10:08 CEST 2007

Peter Kümmel writes:

>Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>>
>> Indeed it looks like this will work, as I'm now trying to get Qt 4.3.0
>> built, but this is IMO a temporary measure, and I would like to see the
>> code itself fixed.
>>
>> Could you therefore tell me:
>>
>> 1) if anyone has made any efforts to fix the code wrt .rdata (likely
>> using the QT_STATIC_CONST macro)?
>>
>> 2) exactly what cases cause this problem?
>>
>> 3) any other advice in dealing with this?
>>

> You could have a look at the LyX mailing list,
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg100712.html
>
> But I don't know where Enrico's patch is avaiable.

I still have not published my patch. It is my intention to update the
wiki page http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXOnCygwin to Qt4 in the near future.

However, note that my Qt4/Cygwin is a sort of hybrid, as X11 is not used
for the display but directly the Windows native APIs. Everything else
is posix (threads, filesystem, sockets, ...). In order to obtain this
result I have to merge the two distributions for win and x11 by Trolltech.

Anyway, I build a static library (so the aforementioned patch is not
needed) and only used this hybrid for building LyX. I am using Qt 4.1.5 by
almost a year now, without any problem. Recently, I also updated the patch
to Qt 4.3.0 and LyX seems still working flawlessly.

If anyone wants to try the Qt3 version, I made available a cygwin package
for LyX at ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.4.4/lyx-1.4.4-cygwin.tar.gz

Just for fun, I tried building a static Qt 4.3.0 for X11 on cygwin with
my patches applied and it is seemingly working (only tried it with some
examples, though).

> But don't hesitate to ask.

Let me know whether you are interested to such a beast. I have no problems
sending you my patches (as I said, I will soon publish them).

--
Enrico