WindowsXP crashes during cygwin setup instal phase

Arkady Andrukonis grazingcows at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 06:03:08 CEST 2007

Hi Folks,

Thank you for providing a very fine product allowing
me to run my favorite OS inside WindowsXP. I came upon
it once before when running octave on WindowsNT, but
today I wanted to run Konqueror 'cause IE6 became
unstable and keeps crashing on my machine.

During the installation phase, while running the
postinstall .sh scripts, WindowsXP crashed several
times with the blue screen of death. Even running the
incomplete install KDE was a problem, I was not able
to exit cygwin. I was able to isolate the culprit, I
saw that emacs installed fine. The next install was
Tetex and its postintall script was the cause of the
crash. When I uninstalled Tetex, from the selection
screen, everything ran afterwards like butter. I did
not attempt to try installing Tetex alone to see if
the problem persists.

I used the cygwin setup version 2.573.2.2 with install
from Internet option using the
ftp://sunsite.dk/cygwin/ports repository. I am running
OEM version of Windows XP SP2 2002 release on Toshiba
Satellite A55-S326 with 512 RAM, Intel 1.60 GHz
Pentium(M) Centrino processor.

With kindest regards,

Arkady