Help for installing kde under cygwin

Douglas Allen kb9agt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 19:03:33 CEST 2007

On 6/23/07, Karim Yousfi <yousfi.karim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> I'm sending you this mail from paris and I've a bigproblem to install KDE
> under Cygwin.
>
>  I already spent all my afternoon to try to fixthe pb unfortunately
> without any result.
>
>  Please somebody could help me or I'm going  to be crazy. It seems that
> oneof the problems is
> the absence of the xwinclip command.
>
>  This is the error message:
>
> $ cygserver: Initialization complete.  Waiting for requests.
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 6.8.99.901-4
>
> Contact: cygwin-xfree at cygwin.com
>
> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> xwin -fullscreen -noreset
>
> /d/home/startkde: line 6: xwinclip: command not found
> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
> already run
> ning
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> xset:  bad font path element (#62), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
> startkde: Starting up...
> startkde: Running kpersonalizer...
> DCOP: register 'anonymous-3088' -> number of clients is now 1
> DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-3088'
> DCOP: register 'kpersonalizer-3284' -> number of clients is now
> 1QFont::setPoint
> Size: Point size <= 0 (-3)
>
> WARNING: Problem deleting stale lockfile
> /opt/kde3.4/home/share/config/kpersonal
> izerrc.lock
> WARNING: Problem deleting stale lockfile
> /opt/kde3.4/home/share/config/kpersonal
> izerrc.lock
> WARNING: Problem deleting stale lockfile
> /opt/kde3.4/home/share/config/kpersonal
> izerrc.lock
> WARNING: Problem deleting stale lockfile
> /opt/kde3.4/home/share/config/kpersonal
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
>
> --
> Karim YOUSFI

I installed KDE according to

http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/

and installation went smootly. However, KDE did not start up - kdeinit hung
without further information. After quite a while I figured out that the
problem was the missing *cygart_lgpl-2.dll* coming with *libart_lgpl2*.
Maybe this information could be updated as the above installation procedure
does advise to install *libart_lgpl. *That'll be very helpful.

Regards,

Steffen