Problems getting KDE to start...

David H Gunnells gunnells at uab.edu
Wed Apr 25 16:44:46 CEST 2007

The directions are still there.

http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/

Copy/pasted:

Snapshot release of KDE 3.4.1

IMPORTANT

  This kde release may not run with newer qt libraries from
http://cygwin-ports.sf.net. If you like to run newer qt releases please
remove this packages completely and install kde from the independent
project http://cygwin-ports.sf.net.

INSTALLATION

1. install required cygwin packages

cygwin xorg-x11-base freetype2 fontconfig libxslt libxml2 libiconv
libtiff5 openssl libbz2_1 zlib libpcre0 jpeg libaspell15 libart_lgpl
libsasl2 ash rebase

2. download the packages and unpack them into the cygwin root

wget -nd
http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/qt-x11-free-3.3.4
-1.tar.bz2

wget -nd
http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/kdelibs-3.4.1-0.t
ar.bz2

wget -nd
http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/kdebase-3.4.1-0.t
ar.bz2

wget -nd
http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/kdepim-3.4.1-0.ta
r.bz2

wget -nd
http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/kdesdk-3.4.1-0.ta
r.bz2

        tar -C / -xjf qt-x11-free-3.3.4-1.tar.bz2

        tar -C / -xjf kdelibs-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2

        tar -C / -xjf kdebase-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2

        tar -C / -xjf kdepim-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2

        tar -C / -xjf kdesdk-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2

3. rebase all dll's to avoid cygwin remap problem

<before running rebaseall make sure, that no cygwin process is running>

        1. create file list

               find /opt/qt/3.3 /opt/kde3.4 -name '*.dll'
>/tmp/files.lst

        2. close *ALL* cygwin processes

        3. open a windows command shell (cmd.exe) from Start/Run and
goto cygwin installation root

               cd c:\cygwin

               bin\ash bin/rebaseall  -b 0x61000000 -v -T tmp/files.lst

4. start kde

  1. display only kicker (uses Xwin multiwindow mode)

               at first create a simple startscript

               cat >~/startkde

               /usr/sbin/cygserver &

               export CYGWIN=server

               export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0

               xwin -multiwindow &

               xwinclip &

               xhost +

               export SHELL=/bin/bash

               kdeinit +kicker &

        [press ENTER, then CTRL-D]

        chmod a+x ~/startkde

        no you can start kde with

               ~/startkde &

  stop kde - run

               kdeinit_shutdown

        then close the bash window

  2. using full kde desktop (uses Xwin rootless mode)

          cat >~/startkde

                       #!/bin/bash

                       cygserver &

                       export CYGWIN=server

                       export SHELL=/bin/bash

                       xwin -fullscreen -noreset &

                       xwinclip &

                       xhost +

                       /opt/kde3.4/bin/startkde

                       kdeinit_shutdown

                       taskkill /IM xwin

                       taskkill /IM xwinclip

                       taskkill /IM cygserver

        [press ENTER, then CTRL-D]

        chmod a+x ~/startkde

        no you can start kde with

               ~/startkde &

Notes

1. If you encounter problem with kmail (load loading time when opening
new email window or seg faults), you can install the
cygwin-dll-2005-04-13 package, which runs stable for me.

         cd ~

         wget -nd
http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/cygwin-dll-2005-0
4-13.tar.bz2

         tar -xjf cygwin-dll-2005-04-13.tar.bz2

         cp bin/cygwin1.dll /

         <close all cygwin apps and start a cmd shell, then enter >

         cd c:\cygwin (or wherever your cygwin root is located)

         copy cygwin1.dll bin

         <now you can restart kde>

2. You can add the Entries of your windows start menu with the
lnk2desktop tool. See the readme.txt in the package
lnk2dektop-x.y.z.tar.bz2 for more information.

3. How to install a KDE language package:

        1. download the related language package from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.1/SuSE/noarch

        2. install cygwin rpm package

        3. create a symbolic link from /opt/kde3.4 to /opt/kde3 if not
already existent:

                       ln -s kde3.4 /opt/kde3

        4. install the downloaded language package

                       rpm -ivh kde3-i18n-xx-x.y.z-p.noarch.tar.bz2
--ignoreos

        5. setup new language with kpersonalizer

in case of problems see http://kde-cygwin.sf.net/kde3 and/or contact
kde-cygwin at kde.org