KOffice 1.5.2 on Cygwin?

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Sep 27 08:38:21 CEST 2006

Manfred Haertel, DB3HM schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> Some weeks ago I posted a message concerning self compiled KOffice
> applications crashing immidiately after starting. I append a quote of
> this message.
>
> Exactly the same problem happened when I tried to port a simple KDE
> programming example I've written from Linux to Cygwin. Fortunately, this
> application was simple enough to track down the source of the problem.
>
> It seems as if this problem happens exactly when you define a slot with
> parameters! If all slots don't have parameters, everything is fine, if
> at least one slot has at least one parameter, the application crashes
> immediately.
>
> I even found a workaround, by editing the moc generated cpp files manually.
>
> If you define slots with parameters, there are lines in the cpp file
> similiar to the following:
>
>      static const QUParameter param_slot_0[] = {
>
> If you remove just the "const" keyword here, everything is fine again
> and the application runs perfectly!
>
> This is really weird!
>
> I do not really understand, where the problem is, probably it's a g++
> compiler (or linker?) problem under Cygwin.
>
> I also have no good idea yet how to apply the workaround easily to
> KOffice (adding sed commands to all Makefile's???).
>
> If anybody has an idea how to solve the problem or a better workaround,
> I would be very happy! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this detailed error report. The const note shows me that this
problem is caused by the fact that newer ld places readonly data in
readonly sections for which the auto-import/runtime pseudo-reloc stuff
does not work. See
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/faq.php#0xc000005 for a solution
of this problem.  While the linker script is very imported I'm not sure
if the -fdata-sections is really required too.

Ralf