KDE as X Term on XP controlling Linux box

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jan 12 15:49:11 CET 2006

Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2006 13:27 schrieb CascadeHush:
> This week I have built my fileserver, setup SimplyMepis (KDE/Debian
> based distro), and I can access files from both XP and OSX accross my
> LAN.
>
> I have also installed KDE on Cygwin on my XP box, and that is
> working... I can browse the web with Konquerer and edit files with
> Kate.  Not a bad start.
>
> The next step is to be able to have my XP box run as an X Terminal,
> so I can continue to work on the linux fileserver.  I want to shove
> the box up in a cupboard somewhere asap, but I can't do that untill I
> can get remote access to it.
>
> All I really want is to be pointed in the right direction.  I'm
> amazed I got this far and have no clue how to proceed.  Any websites
> would be helpful.  I've done google searches, but havn't actually
> found anything that tells you how to do it.  (plenty that say it can
> be done though).
>
> Thanks for putting up with the newbie :D

To access an XP box remotly you can install a VNC Server on the XP box (search
'RealVNC' or 'TightVNC' on google) and acces the XP box with vncviewer or
install the cygwin ssh daemon (package openssh) with usr/bin/ssh-host-config,
which could be accessed with any ssh client.

To access the linux fileserver you should install the openssh package on the
XP box, start the Xserver on the XP box and connect to the fileserver using
ssh:

	ssh <user>@<your-linux-box-ip-address-or-hostname>

Then you should export the display on the linux server to the XP box with

	export DISPLAY=<your-xp-box-ip-address-or-hostname>:0

and now start a kde session  with

	startkde

or by starting single applications.

	konqueror

Another way is to use xdmp protocol (must be enabled on the linux box) by
starting the XServer on the XP box from a cygwin shell with

Xwin -clipboard -query <your-linux-box-ip-address-or-hostname> -from
$COMPUTERNAME -ac &

Hope that helps