note on further KDE on cygwin development

lpotter@trolltech.com lpotter at trolltech.com
Tue Oct 18 16:35:19 CEST 2005

> Currently I'm a little double-minded to make this public or not.
>
> - Yes because I'm angry that this only layer related request is negative
> marketing for trolltech in the open source world and If I would be in the
> position of trolltech's CEO or marketing chief, i would not do that .
> (The
> head of trolltechs layer requested  to rename all qt related projects on
> sourceforge and elsewhere  having the term qt in the project name. This
> means
> to close all related sf project and reopen under a new name. What a
> nightmare). I personally think that this request was intended by an
> overeager
> person without previous arrangement with marketing, but first I couldn't
> prove it and second it was an official trolltech request, which has to
> taken
> serious.
>
> - No, because I personally don't like to harm trolltech, which will have
> negative effect to KDE, which is carried by the open source community.
>
> So I have to live with this infringment or to forgive them and go one,
> probably I will do the latter.

Attorneys for Linus have also taken action against businesses and
organizations that are using "Linux" branding, and were told they need to
license the term "Linux".
Linux Australia, a non profit organization, which runs linux.conf.au was
sent an email regarding this. Even Linux user groups were sent emails!

I do not see much difference between the two trademark actions.

Under trademark law, if you do not protect your trademark, you loose it.
Trolltech attorneys were the ones that initiated this.

At any rate, it is only a name, and Trolltech has not asked (nor could
they), to stop development.

I personally support the kde-cygwin/native qt project within Trolltech, as
part of my job, even though it is not Qtopia related.
And the GPL'ing of Qt 4 for Windows kind of made the native qt3 port moot,
anyway.

Keep up the hackin'!

--
Lorn "ljp" Potter