note on further KDE on cygwin development

Chris January chris at atomice.net
Thu Oct 13 10:12:25 CEST 2005

On 22/09/05, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the last time there were some exiting and faster alternatives to the KDE on
> cygwin port in using colinux (http://www.colinux.org) and xming
> (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming) the win32 based X-Server. Because they
> provide are much easier way to run KDE application on windows, I thought
> about the sense of the KDE on cygwin port, especially because a native KDE 4
> port to windows is not far away. The result of this thoughs are that I will
> stop further development of the kde-cygwin port because of:
>
> - a side effect of the the ongoing transition to KDE 4 is that the releases
> kde svn is partial unstable  (for example the autotool build system), which
> require much more work to fix, I unfortunally don't have.
>
> - there are trademark issues (initiated by trolltech) about the gpl'ed native
> qt3-port, which makes further development for me personally somewhat
> unsecure. (I hope that  this effects noone other working on the native qt3
> port)
>
> - The required time of porting and supporting the KDE on cygwin port may be
> better used helping the KDE 4 windows port.
>
> As summary I think that KDE on cygwin and the native gpl'ed qt3 port had
> opened a wide door for getting a native KDE 4 on windows. But as anything in
> this limited world has it's live time, KDE on cygwin' live time seems to be
> over.
>
> I like to thank all who had contributed to this project and worked hard to
> make it possible. Everytime I think about what was reached, i'm very
> impressed how the open source movement works.
>
> -- Keep up the good work.

Hi Ralf,

It's been great to work (albeit somewhat sporadically) with you first
on KDE for Cygwin and later the GPL'd Qt port. I can understand your
reasons for stopping with kde-cygwin and I look forward to a true
native KDE 4 port on Windows.
It's a shame the Qt port effort had been marred by the trademark
issues and I must take some responsibility for that in pushing for the
're-branding' of the project. I hope that the legal issues do not
affect you personally.
Do I understand that you will be working on KDE 4 yourself or have you
had your fill of KDE development for the time being?

Regards,
Chris