Hidden dependency in QT3/Win Borland build environment?

Peter Nicholls peter_nicholls at breathe.com
Thu May 26 21:10:02 CEST 2005

> > I have a very basic problem building the QT/Win snapshot, v3.3.3, dated
> > 1 March. My development environment is the Borland C++ v5.5 compiler on
> > a Windows ME system, with nothing special added. Both the configuration
> > batch file and the Borland makefile fail. Is there some hidden
> > requirement to build inside the Cygwin environment, or something I'm
> > overlooking?

Snap.  I have had the exact same issue.  So, heres my take on it:

Good News:  You CAN build QT3/free win using Borland for Windows ME.
Bad News:  There isn't much point, as it seems (going on the provided example
apps) that it doesn't work anyway (as indeed it says it doesn't support ME).

For those who might want to give it a go anyway, heres how to build on ME using
Borland. (Note, as previous replys have stated, us the MS-DOS cmd prompt).

1)  THe main problem is that ME seems unable to actually read the configuration
bat scripts and so on.
2) The way round this is either to write your own scripts (a task for someone
other than me, as I don't really know much MS-DOS.  I prefer UNIX). or..
3) DIY.  First up, follow all the set up steps as detailed on the QT site (env
setup and so on) and mentioned in a previous reply here

Then, basically, use the configure bat script as a guide in building the
components one by one yourself.  This means creating any required directories,
moving/copying any required files and running the make commands.  Even a basic
understanding of MSDOS commands is enough to discern what you have to do (thats
all I have, and it was enough for me...)

Once done, run the configure.exe in bin, being sure to specify the -no-stl flag.
 This will fail, but I think it might help anyway.  Once its run, run the make
file for win32-borland in misc/configure, then, using the master makefile as a
guide, run the individual 'makes' for (in order please)
qmake
src
src/moc
tools.

(You might also have to repeat some of the steps if you forget to set a flag, or
get the order wrong.  Keep 'making' the various components though, and it'll all
shake out in the end.)

Thats it.  All done.  But like I say, none of the demo apps then work anyway
(they all crash horribly), so for me there wasn't much gain to be had.  I've
assumed if the exemplars don't work, it means theres some sort of fundamental
incompatibility.

Maybe your system will be a little more forgiving.

Cheers,

Peter.