How to migrate qt project part to qtwin and who can do what

Steven Boothe steven at poiema.org
Thu Mar 31 19:52:26 CEST 2005

Chris January wrote:
>>> What is the rationale for using a Wiki for the Qt/Win website?
>>> phpWebSite (phpwebsite.appstate.edu) is quite nice if all
>>> you want is a CMS.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Hi Chris, 'my' rationale is to one, facilitate participation from
>> others, and two help keep the maintenance from becoming dependent
>> on only a few people who may move on to other things or just become
>> too busy with other things to keep up with it. Others may have a
>> different opinions or rationales, but those are mine.
>
> Do you invisage allowing access to the general public or only to
> people who are part of the project? If only project members will have
> write access then the question of spam protection becomes moot.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris, I would prefer allowing access to the general public, because
as was my case when I came to the KDE-cygwin project looking to get a
working installation of Scribus running, I right away desired to begin
recording a working recipe of my steps from a completely fresh start as
a newbie so others who came along after me would not have to break the
trail all over again. But since the pages were not "open", that left me
wondering who I would have to contact, how I would have to try and
justify my access, and all this from someone who was completely unknown
to the project and as such may be turned down for no other reason than
being unknown.

Where in contrast, a couple of days after I saw the wiki for Scribus
announced, it occurred to me that I could begin to utilize their
webspace toward the effort since it was for the same application. Which
over time led to a final step-by-step recipe for installing Scribus via
QT/X11 over cygwin that one person wrote into the mailing list as simple
enough that "mere mortals could follow". Which accomplished one of my
main objectives of bringing a truly cutting edge FOSS DTP app to a wider
audience. The other objective being that I would not need to keep track
of who wanted to also help edit the Scribus for win32 pages. As already
now a number of people whom I had no prior contact with have merely
stepped up and begun taking over adding/correcting various aspects of
the pages and improving their content.

So to me those are my experiences as to why I feel a wiki could be a
really helpful addition to the features of the project workspace.

What do you think? Anyone?

Best regards,

Steven