QT3/X11/KDE/KDevelop status?

Steven Boothe steven at poiema.org
Mon Mar 14 07:27:20 CET 2005

Hello Ralf, Peter, et al:

I've just been spending a couple hours looking into how I would like to
proceed with setting myself up to begin testing, compiling and debugging and
testing snapshots of Scribus 1.3 from the Scribus CVS repository. If it is
possible I'd prefer to use an integrated IDE/debugging solution preferably
with color.

At first I began looking into the possibility of using Dev-C++, but then as I
though about it, it seemed that since I was looking to work with an app that
is designed to work with X11, that it might be better to work with KDevelop.
Which brought me back to looking at compiling QT3 again, and attempting to
compile a more recent version of KDE/KDevelop if possible or if necessary.

So having written about what my intentions are, I guess I have a couple of
questions that I would really be grateful if you could answer from your own
opinions and or experience.

That is:

1). Which way would you suggest would be best for me to proceed, or which way
did you find worked best for you to go through the process of compiling and
fixing bugs in the code while porting the KDE apps to Cygwin?

2). Would you have a preference as to which direction I spend my time? Whether
attempting to compile an updated version of KDE/KDevelop, or just plowing
ahead with vi/emacs/gdb and working on updating Scribus? Would anyone here
have any preference or curiousity as to they would prefer?

Finally just by way of an FYI, I looked at the statistics for the statistics
of the various pages over at the Scribus wiki tonight and noticed that the
page for Scribus on Win32 is ranked number two, even beating out the 1.3.x
Roadmap(?!). So you throw out the Main page as a starting point, the most
popular destination from there is Installing Scribus on Win32! Pretty cool eh?
"http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Special:Popularpages"

You know it is really all of you who should get the credit for making that
possible. I only came along and took your hard work and documented it so
others could benefit. And from what it appears many are quite excited about
the opportunity to get to use Scribus on Win32. :)

So what do you think? Do you have any advice as to how I might help take it to
the next step in bringing the opportunities even closer to the state of the
art for KDE/KDevelop or Scribus under Cygwin?

Cheers and all the best,

Steven