Hard crash in QFileDialog (Qt/WinFree)

Angus Leeming leeming at lyx.org
Sun Jun 12 18:29:29 CEST 2005

Ralf Habacker wrote:
>>When MinGW wouldn't be so slow

> the linker or the compiler too ?

Well, the compiler is slower than its linux equivalent, but not
disastrously so. The real killer is the linker. Here's some examples on a
2.7GHz dual boot (linux, WinXP) machine

linking qt-mt.dll under either Windows XP or linux using the mingw cross
compiler --- ~15 minutes.
linking LyX 1.3.6 cvs (which requires qt-mt.dll) under either OS --- ~15
minutes.
linking LyX 1.4.x cvs on linux --- 61minutes!!! LyX 1.4.x makes very heavy
use of Boost's template-heavy code.
linking LyX 1.4.x cvs on Windows --- run out of virtual memory. Which given
that I have 512MB + 1024MB swap is a bit rude :-)

Admittedly, these latter two had full debug info, but I only tried the
once. I'll try again sometime in the future and this time I'll compile
without -g. But first I want to get LyX 1.3.6 out of the door.

Angus