DCOPClient::attachInternal ICE Connection rejected! Problem startingKDE on cygwin after updating installation with setup.exe

Marat BN maratbn at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 07:39:39 CEST 2005

I've searched thru this mailing list's archives at
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&r=1&w=2 and came
across several similar
postings:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&w=2&r=1&s=ICE+Connection+rejected&q=b

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=102521160822411&w=2

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=102614598516290&w=2

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=102615948432041&w=2

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=107305615907187&w=2

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=111224252612017&w=2

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=111224978221263&w=2

The response above recommends debugging procedure at
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/faq.php?editable=1#debug_kde3

Side question about the debugging procedure:  It says
"export
QTDIR=/opt/kde3"  Should it be instead something like
"QTDIR=/opt/qt/3.2" ?

The next step in the debugging procedure after setting
the environment
variables is to start the X server with "XWin
-nowinkill -noreset".  That
works properly on my system.

After starting the X server, the debugging procedure
directs to start the
dcopserver with "dcopserver".  In my case the
dcopserver does not start, and
I get the following error printout:

$ dcopserver
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be
set to root
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed
Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are
supported and host-based
authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed
Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are
supported and host-based
authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.

The debugging procedure contains link
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/faq.php?editable=1#dcop_auth
regarding investigating this error.  The link further
redirects to a
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=106685880811768&w=2

The posting recommends checking permissions on
"$HOME/.ICEauthority"  On my
system, this filespec does not exist.  Not sure if
that's what causing the
problem.

I do have "/tmp/.ICE-unix" & "/tmp/.X11-unix", and the
permissions for these
are "drwxrwxrwx+".  Of course the ownership of these
files is set to my
Windows XP username, and not to root.  There's also
"/tmp/kde-M" &
"/tmp/ksocket-M" with permissions "drwx------+" if
that's useful.  I also
have "/tmp/XWin.log" if you guys would like to look at
it.

There's also this post here 6 days before I posted my
original one:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=112210598813584&w=2

Hope this provides more info regarding the problem,
and if you'd like
additional info, or would like me to check something
on my system, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Marat

startingKDE on cygwin after updating installation with
setup.exe

> Hi,
>
> I've been running KDE on cygwin.  Just recently
> performed a general update
> with the cygwin's setup.exe automated
> installation/update wizard, and now
> after doing it, KDE does not start anymore.
>
> The following message is being printed to the
console
> in an endless loop
> (until I press Ctrl-C):
>
> DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed
> Authentication Rejected, reason :
> None of the authentication protocols specified are
> supported and host-based
> authentication failed
> ICE Connection rejected!
>

> I'd like to check if anyone else has experienced
this
> problem, and if anyone
> has a recommendation for a solution, or a good place
> to check for what may
> be causing this.  Please let me know if any
additional