Article on KDE on Cygwin

"Thiago A. Corrêa" thiagoacorrea at uol.com.br
Fri Jan 7 14:42:39 CET 2005

David Fraser wrote:
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 06 January 2005 12:39, Ingrid Marson wrote:
>>

>>> Hi
>>> I am interested in writing an article about KDE on Cygwin (the port of
>>> Qt and KDE to Windows using Cygwin). Who is the best person to speak
>>> to/email to find out more about this project? - what it has achieved so
>>> far, when it plans on doing a production release etc.
>>>

>> This depends of the area of the project.
>> Chris January <chrisjan at iomo.co.uk> - native win32 qt port Ralf
>> Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> - cygwin based qt port Ralf
>> Habacker/Holger Schröder - cygwin based kde port Holger Schröder
>> <holger-kde at holgis.net> + Jaruslav Staniek are working on a native kde
>> port
>> BTW: Holger Schöder has given an interview on golem some month ago,
>> which may help you. You can find this interview on
>> http://www.golem.de/0408/33216.html.
>> If you have more questions, please send them to this list, we will
>> answer them.
>> Regards Ralf
>>
> I'm not sure if this fits with Ingrid's original plan, but I'd love to
> see an interview with all the above people, covering the different
> aspects of the project. I think this would be helpful to many outsiders
> who may not understand all that's going on
>
> David

Just an idea for the article, but it would be great if someone pointed
out that it's not just about enticing Windows users into Linux. There
are many developers here from OSS apps who are just interested in
increasing their userbase, and having the possibility of targeting Linux
and Windows users makes KDE a far more attractive platform to develop.

For one, I'm exactly in the above situation, when coding, making Windows
users into Linux users doesn't even cross my mind, all I care is making
my own app better.

Many fail to see that, even thought it's so obvious.

Best Regards,
    Thiago A. Corrêa