qtwin32-binary package question

Chris January chris at atomice.net
Wed Jan 5 22:29:46 CET 2005

> Hi all,
>
> currently I have tried to create a prelimary qtwin32 msvc
> binary package using
> the iss setup compiler. (The related config file
> misc/setup/setup-bin-msvc.iss is
> updated in cvs) for which I have some question:
>
> 1. Is the port in a state that a binary release would make sense ?

It would be good to fix the bug on Windows 95/98/Me that causes the
rendering to screw up. It appears to be a GDI resource leak similar to the
one that was already found.

> 2. I have compiled the library with Visual Studio Net. Does
> anyone know, if
> this will work also with Visual Studio ++ 6.0 ?

I don't think it will - but I have VC++ 6 at work so I can compile a version
there.

> 3 The setup has currently the problem, that config pathes
> (qtconfig.cpp,.qmake.cache) points to the build dir. It could
> be set with
> configure.bat -prefix, but this seems to me a stupid
> solution, because for
> every release and every compiler a new configure is required.
> I'm thinking to
> place for example a QTDIR key in the registry or something
> like a setup
> postinstall tool. Any ideas ?

Add QTDIR to the system environment variables -- that's what Trolltech's
version does.

> 4. Is anyone there, who will create and upload the real
> binary package ? I can
> perform a msvc.net based setup for the recent release, but
> cannot say yet if
> this will be possible in the future.

I've used Inno setup and have Borland, MSVC .NET and GNU C++ compilers on my
home machine and MSVC++ 6 at work so I should be able to make binary
releases for eack of these compilers.

> 5. We discussed the naming scheme. Because the binary
> packages are compiler
> specific, we have to add a compiler shortcut. The name of the
> installer
> package would be setup-qt-win-free-msvc.net-3.3.3-0.exe or
> setup-qt-win-free-msvc-3.3.3-0.exe if issue 2 is answered with yes.

Those names look fine.

Chris