incremental linking speed up link time very much

Simon Rutishauser simon.rutishauser at web.de
Wed Jan 5 21:52:47 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:22:08PM +0100, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 19:44, Simon Rutishauser wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 07:04:40PM +0100, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > found some time to fix the broken incremental linking suspport for msvc
> > > in cvs. Now the turnaround time for changing qt sources, compile and link
> > > are very much reduced.
> > > For example while searching the assistant default font problem, changing
> > > qfont_win.cpp, compiling and linking the qt dll requires less than 5
> > > seconds.
> > >
> > > Happy hacking.
> > > Ralf
> >
> > That sounds really great. Should this work with msvc 6 or are you
> > referring to the newer ones?
> I've tried this with msvc 7 aka msvc net. As far as I know should this work
> with msvc 6 too.

Should. Too bad it doesn't for me:

--------------------Konfiguration: qtmt - Win32
Debug--------------------
Linker-Vorgang läuft...
LINK : fatal error LNK1210: Interne ILK-Groessenbeschraenkung
ueberschritten; Sie muessen erneut mit /INCREMENTAL:NO binden.
Fehler beim Ausführen von link.exe.

English translation for those who don't speak german:
fatal error LNK1210: Internal ILK-Size limit overrun; You have to relink
with /INCREMENTAL:NO

Now I had a look at Google and the MS Knowdledge base. The former
doesn't help (found just two posts of people having the same problem and
no solution) and the latter says that there was not enough memory. Also
found some HP Page for the Visual Fortran compiler - there it says about
not enough disk space.
However I had 800 MB Free Memory (mostly Swap, but memory usage never went
above 200 MB during the incremental linking try-run anyway) and 600 MB
free disk space (at first, freed some stuff later and got 1 GB free disk
space - didn't work either)

Does this work for anyone with msvc 6.0?

> > >10 min vs 5 seconds is quite a lot :-)
>
> 5 seconds seems to be the best case when changing only code in a method. The
> really needed time depends on the amount of changes, but I cannot say
> how. :-)

That wouldn't really matter - as long as it's faster ;-)

Simon