What options are there for compiling Scribus?

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Feb 21 08:51:10 CET 2005

On Monday 21 February 2005 07:15, Steven Boothe wrote:
> Hello all and thanks to all who read further:
>
> So far I've managed to aquire the following instructions from Ralf but upon
> first look they appear to be written for being compiled with cygwin for
> running in the XFree environment:
>
> -----instructions-----
> 1. install qt-3.3.3 release (qt-3.3.1 does not work)
> 2. unpack scribus-1.2.1-src.tar.bz2
> 3. preconfigure:
>
> make -f Makefile.dist
>
> 4. configure:
>
> CFLAGS="-fdata-sections" CXXFLAGS="-fdata-sections"
> LDFLAGS="-Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc,--script,$(QTDIR)/mkspecs/cygwin
>-g++/i386pi.x-no-rdata" ./configure --prefix=/opt/scribus/1.2
>
> 5. make make CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS} -I/usr/include/lcms"
> ----------------------
>
> However, I encountered some errors when attempting the following:
>
> noone at sector0 /src/Scribus
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sector0 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 2004-11-10 08:34 i686 Cygwin
>
> noone at sector0 /src/Scribus
> $ make -f Makefile.dist
> make: Makefile.dist: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.dist'.  Stop.

$ tar -C /tmp  -xjf /c/download/scribus-1.2.1-src.tar.bz2

Habacker at BRAMSCHE1 ~/src
$ cd /tmp/scribus-1.2.1cvs/

Habacker at BRAMSCHE1 /tmp/scribus-1.2.1cvs
$ ls
AUTHORS       INSTALL          Makefile.dist  TODO          config.status.bak*
libtool.bak*     scribus.exe.stackdump*  subdirs
COPYING       Makefile.am      Makefile.in    acinclude.m4  configure*
scribus/         scribus.kdevprj
ChangeLog     Makefile.am.bak  README         aclocal.m4    configure.bak*
scribus.1        scribus.kdevses
ChangeLogCVS  Makefile.am.rej  Scribus.pot    admin/        configure.in
scribus.desktop  scribus.lsm
Doxyfile      Makefile.bak     Scribus.pro    config.h.in   fparser.txt
scribus.dtd      stamp-h.in

Habacker at BRAMSCHE1 /tmp/scribus-1.2.1cvs
$ make -f Makefile.dist
This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
This will be deleted before making the distribution

*** Creating acinclude.m4
!!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
    environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
*** Creating aclocal.m4
acinclude.m4:44: warning: underquoted definition of KDE_PATH_X_DIRECT
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
---

no problems here

> the Borland compiler the way we compile QT-3/Win, and that way we could
> then run Scribus the same way we run Designer, etc.
>
> What do you think? Is this possible?

As far as I remember does scribus use some x11 code for performance reasons,
which has to be ported to the windows gui. The build system uses the autotool
chain (automake,autoconfig,libtool) which will not work on native windows and
has to be changed using qmake or something else.

Regards