We've finally got it!

"Thiago A. Corrêa" thiagoacorrea at uol.com.br
Mon Feb 7 17:13:00 CET 2005

Simon Rutishauser wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 04:04:06PM +0100, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>
>>Wow - I would say this is a huge step forwards for KDE on windows ...
>>http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000192.html
>>http://www.golem.de/0502/36142.html (German)
>>
>>Now we're workless ;-)
>

> True. So sad ;)
>
> But I am wondering about this:
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/duallicense.html#q12
>
> quote:
> 	 Commercial compiler support - the tools shipped with the GPL
> 	 version support the popular GNU CC compiler. The C++ compilers
> 	 from Microsoft, Intel and Borland are not supported by the
> 	 tools in the GPL version.
>
> How do they do that? Rip these things out of qmake?

There are 3 places where they can ripp off code:

Remove the generator code from qmake ( they seam to have done that already )
They also revamped moc, but I'm more skeptical they would introduce
incompabilities there.

remove the qmake.conf and platform.h, which is almost identical for gcc
and msvc

remove the atomic counter code, which is partially written in assembly (
  a single __asm xchg ). Each supported compiler has it done differently.