Incremental linking on MSVC 6 works

Simon Rutishauser simon.rutishauser at web.de
Wed Feb 2 20:35:30 CET 2005

Today I got incremental linking working on msvc 6. I'm still wondering
why it actually works now whereas it did not work before.

I can imagine multiple reasons:
- someone changed something in cvs that had prevented msvc from linking
  incrementally
- my current setup (which is different from the one i used before)
  somehow did the trick - but then I don't know what exactly is
  responsable

The setup is:
- Windows 2000 with sp4 (german)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 6 (Standard Edition, had Enterprise before)
  _without_ any Service Packs (haven't yet had the time to install them)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 SDK

I am setting up the following variables at the end of vcvars32.bat
(which is run whenever I am going to compile/link something with msvc):
set PATH=C:\Programme\Microsoft SDK;%PATH%
"C:\Programme\Microsoft SDK\Setup\SetEnvLaunchWin2000Debug.Bat" /2000
/DEBUG

The second one was copied from the links to "build shells" that the 2003
SDK created in the start menu. I think it sets up everything so that the
2003 SDK is used and not the old one provided with msvc 6.

Of course I'm going to try to find out what made the difference in the
next days. Hope I won't break it again ;-)

Simon

P.S. one more thing: the library names which should (??) actually be
qt-mt3.xyz is qt-mt333.xyz again.