what is KdE on cygwin

steven@poiema.org steven at poiema.org
Sun Dec 4 18:56:40 CET 2005

Asad Jamil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all i would admit i am not a regular user of linux therefore
> not to familiar with the terms. i know some unix comands to help me do
> the things i need to do to use Unix/linux. i installed Cygwin on my XP
> system to emulate solaris system so that i can run unix software from
> my windows machine.
>
> my questions are as follows
> Q.1 other than emulating a remote unix system what really a user
> should get by installing cygwin.

Speaking for myself, I like cygwin so that I have all of those tools
locally on a windows box.

> Q.2. Can i install unix software in windows machine if cygwin is
> installed?  and run it as if the software is installed in a remote
> unix machine and i am emulating it?

Additionally, I've used cygwin as the basis for installing KDE and then
installing and running various graphical applications as well. However,
my favorite is based on cueTea (a free port of the GPL's version of QT)
formerly known as qtwin. In this case Scribus:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Installing_Scribus_on_Win32

Which by way of example involves installing cygwin as a requirement.

Hope that helps clarify a little bit,

Steven