Remote KDE apps on Windows HowTo?

Rob Brandt rbrandt at csd-bes.net
Mon Aug 1 08:21:17 CEST 2005

Thanks;

I had some ssh probs and some other distractions, so I am just now
getting back to this.

This is the method I'm after, I think:

> Another way is to connect the server using ssh and open a kicker
> panel on your
> pc.
>
> export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
> xwin -multiwindow &
> xhost +
> ssh user at host
> export DISPLAY=<your_host_ip_address>:0
> kicker &

I created a script as above but with my host IP address.  I have ssh
configured for password prompt, because I need to be able to log in
from various places without need to generate local keys.  When I run my
script, I get a Password: prompt that seems to alternate in results,
neither of them good.  On the first attempt, when I type in the
password it actually appears in clear text as I type it, and then when
I hit Enter I get a bash response that there is no program with my
password name.  So it looks like it's a prompt for a password, but
seems to be passing the results to bash to be processed as a program.
I then try and run the script again, and this time when I try typing in
the password no characters appear as I type (which is good) but when I
hit enter, nothing happens.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm a newbie on this.

* Your original message said I needed to enable xdmp in
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager.  It appears that applies just to the
-xwin method; does it apply to the ssh/kicker method too?  It currently
defaults to kdm; what does changing this do to local sessions at the
console?

* Is there a change I need to make in the script to account for the
password prompt, or will that even work in this configuration?

Thanks
--
Best Regards

Rob