Is this a KDevelop bug, a Cygwin-g++- bug, a Cygwin bug, or am I just plain stupid ?

BERTIN Philippe philippe.bertin at cnh.com
Fri Sep 3 10:17:34 CEST 2004

'Llo All,

I have a small program written in the KDevelop environment. The project was setup as a simple Qt program. Although I do not use any of the Qt libraries, and do not intend to do so. I had to create my project that way because I could not create a 'simple KDE program' in my environment (Cygwin with KDE3 on top of it, on a Windows XP computer). So far my working environment background ...

Now I have a file stream: "fstream fil". I open it and run through it, parsing it on the way for a first time. Then I have to parse it a second time. So initially I thought to do fil.seekg(0, ios::beg). But I noticed that this did not succeed for unknown reasons to me. Then I closed and opened it, but still had problems (see further). Then I partially solved my problem using a second fstream- file (call it fil2 if you want), after closing my first file, and then using fil2 further on. The problem is that when I do a couple of "getline"s the second time (on the previously opened file with "fil" that is closed in the meantime), the file pointer of "fil2" does not seem to be moving along with the read data. However, I am pretty sure that I am NOT at the end-of-file.

But again, I see problems, suspecting (in this order) Cygwin-on-top-of-Windows-XP's file handling mechanism, cygwin-g++, and KDE-on-top-of-cygwin for being responsible for the 'bug' ...

Is anyone aware of this kind of problem ?

Kind regards,

PhB.