qt 3.2.3 + gcc 3.3.1 problem compiling apps with -fdata-sections

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon May 31 22:03:48 CEST 2004

On Monday 31 May 2004 20:40, Garvan Keeley wrote:
> After a fresh cygwin install, I built qt-x11-free-3.2.3. Various qt
> examples were failing to execute, giving the a dialog box with the
> following error:
>
> Application Error
> The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK
> to terminate the application.

A google search shows that this could be an access right problem of the dll.
See for example http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg01141.html

> This was resolved by removing the compiler option -fdata-sections and
> rebuilding the applications.

removing -fdata-sections with gcc 3.3 may result in runtime seg faults,
because the auto-import-functionality depends on this. You can find more
informations about this topic with a google search using "auto-import
cygwin".

Can you please check if the problem is gone, when you set the x access rights
to all used dll's  in the cygwin path. You can get the used dll's of an
application by running

$ cygcheck <application>