qt 3.2.3 + gcc 3.3.1 problem compiling apps with -fdata-sections

Erich Schneider eschneider at nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Jun 21 14:23:19 CEST 2004

I was able to reproduce on 2 different computers the error which Garvan
reported 3 weeks ago. It happens with MOST (not every) qt 3.2.3
application that was compiled with a current cygwin install.

As long as moc is not involved in code generation, i.e., as long as
there is no Q_OBJECT in the source code, applications will work
correctly, even if -fdata-sections is used as a compiler flag. For
example examples/opengl/gear is working, but examples/opengl/box is not.
However, both applications are using the same dlls (as seen with
cygcheck) and all the dlls have full access permissions set. Therefore,
I think that Ralf's comment does not apply.

In any case, I would be very glad to see a solution for the problem. In
the meantime omitting -fdata-sections will do the job, since I haven't
had a crash until now.

Regards,
Erich

On Monday 31 May 2004 20:40, Garvan Keeley wrote:
 > After a fresh cygwin install, I built qt-x11-free-3.2.3. Various qt
 > examples were failing to execute, giving the a dialog box with the
 > following error:
 >
 > Application Error
 > The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK
 > to terminate the application.

A google search shows that this could be an access right problem of the
dll.
See for example http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg01141.html

 > This was resolved by removing the compiler option -fdata-sections and
 > rebuilding the applications.

removing -fdata-sections with gcc 3.3 may result in runtime seg faults,
because the auto-import-functionality depends on this. You can find more
informations about this topic with a google search using "auto-import
cygwin".

Can you please check if the problem is gone, when you set the x access
rights
to all used dll's  in the cygwin path. You can get the used dll's of an
application by running

$ cygcheck <application>