Qt/Win32 name

Chris January chris at atomice.net
Sat Dec 18 15:04:52 CET 2004

> On Saturday 18 December 2004 00:27, Ralf Habacker wrote:

> Qt/Windows by
> think it
> offering. So
> and accurate
> product is not
> Suggestions and
> > >
> > > Their free version is called "Qt Open Source Edition".  It is
> > > probably good that we use "free" instead of "open source"
> to avoid
> > > too much similarity.
> >
> > which would also goes more in the gpl direction ->
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
> >
> > > Qt/Windows Free Edition sounds good,
> >
> > me too

Seems Qt/Windows Free Edition has the vote. It emphasises the 'free as in
freedom' nature of our port as opposed to Trolltech's closed source Windows
product.

> > > but it is a bit long.  We could refer to it as Qt WFE.
> >
> > There are at least two areas where we have to see how to select the
> > naming schema. 1. Full name
> >  QT/Windows Free Edition
> >   in relation to trolltechs
> >  QT/Mac Open source Edition
> >  QT/X11 Open source Edition
> >
> > 2. package naming schema
> >  qt-win-free-x.y.z
> >
> >   in relation to trolltechs
> >  qt-x11-free-x.y.z
> >
> > Here we have a name clash between trolltechs full name
> definition and
> > their package naming schema QT/X11 Open source Edition !>
> > qt-x11-free.xyz QT/Windows Free Edition => qt-win-free.xyz
> > The only problem i see could be in the future, if trolltech
> decides to
> > release a windows open source edition, which will be probably named
> > qt-win-free-x.y.z. Then the different editions are not
> identifiable. Any
> > hints ?
> >
> i think if/when trolltech releases qt this way, we could
> happily discontinue
> our version of qt, so no problem any more...
>
> :-)
>
> Holger

I think if Trolltech release their own open source edition of Qt/Windows we
can revisit the package naming convention (assuming anyone is willing to
develop it anymore). In the mean time our package names shouldn't clash with
Trolltech's.

> > 3. Shortcut
> >     Qt/WFE
> >
> > Is this really required ? I don't know if trolltech has
> introduced any
> > shortcut

I think the point David was making is that Qt/Windows Free Edition is a
little long winded to use in everyday communications so we need some kind of
abbreviation. Qt/WFE is ok, personally I'd prefer something like Qt/Win FE.
Trolltech's commercial edition could be referred to as Qt/Win Commercial,
Qt/Win Enterprise, Qt/Win NC, etc.

> > > I don't know if we want to discuss versions now also..
> The question
> > > is how do we denote Qt version numbers and our release version
> > > numbers.  For example, we may aim for compatibility with Qt 3.3.3
> > > and make many releases, and then target 4.0
> compatibility.  Perhaps
> > > we could say "Qt 3.3.3 WFE 2", where 2 means our second
> > > 3.3.3-compatible release.
> >
> > I think we are providing patch levels for a official qt
> release, so I
> > would suggest to name it patch release or similar. For patch levels
> > there is a wellknown naming schema like Qt/Windows Free Edition
> > 3.3.3-2 or using the filname schema qt-win-free-x.y.z-<patchlevel>.

I agree.

Chris