Qt/Win32 name

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Dec 18 00:27:39 CET 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 17:28, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Chris January <chrisjan at iomo.co.uk>:
> > All interested parties:
> >
> > For a while we have been calling our free edition of Qt/Windows by the
> > names Qt/Win32, Qt 3/Win32 or Qt 3 Win32. However I think it would be a
> > good idea to rename the project to reflect its free status and
> > distinguish it from Trolltech's commercial offering. So I'm after
> > suggestions for a new name. Trolltech permits third parties to use the Qt
> > mark so long as you are "clear and accurate as to the nature of the
> > relationship between Trolltech and your company, its products or
> > services.". I'm thinking of something along the lines of Qt/Windows Free
> > Edition* (* this product is not released by Trolltech AS or affliated
> > companies). Suggestions and comments welcome.
>
> Their free version is called "Qt Open Source Edition".  It is probably good
> that we use "free" instead of "open source" to avoid too much similarity.
which would also goes more in the gpl direction ->
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> Qt/Windows Free Edition sounds good,
me too
> but it is a bit long.  We could refer to it as Qt WFE.

There are at least two areas where we have to see how to select the naming
schema.
1. Full name
	QT/Windows Free Edition
  in relation to trolltechs
	QT/Mac Open source Edition
	QT/X11 Open source Edition

2. package naming schema
	qt-win-free-x.y.z

  in relation to trolltechs
	qt-x11-free-x.y.z

Here we have a name clash between trolltechs full name definition and their
package naming schema
QT/X11 Open source Edition !> qt-x11-free.xyz
QT/Windows Free Edition => qt-win-free.xyz
The only problem i see could be in the future, if trolltech decides to release
a windows open source edition, which will be probably named
qt-win-free-x.y.z. Then the different editions are not  identifiable. Any
hints ?

3. Shortcut
    Qt/WFE

Is this really required ? I don't know if trolltech has introduced any
shortcut

> I don't know if we want to discuss versions now also..  The question is how
> do we denote Qt version numbers and our release version numbers.  For
> example, we may aim for compatibility with Qt 3.3.3 and make many releases,
> and then target 4.0 compatibility.  Perhaps we could say "Qt 3.3.3 WFE 2",
> where 2 means our second 3.3.3-compatible release.
I think we are providing patch levels for a official qt release, so I would
suggest to name it patch release or similar.
For patch levels there is a wellknown naming schema like Qt/Windows Free
Edition 3.3.3-2 or using the filname schema qt-win-free-x.y.z-<patchlevel>.

Regards