"Thank You" to the kde-cygwin people, and a cygwinish question...

John Cholewa kde-cygwin at jc-news.com
Mon Aug 30 18:40:44 CEST 2004

I just wanted to quickly thank everybody on the team.  I've used KDE on
Cygwin on an off for what feels like forever, and during this year I've
had an X session running with KDE whenever my machine has been on.
Right now, my machine has been running for thirty-days straight, and KDE
has been operating for almost all of this time.  I've seen two or three
freezes of the X session, but I think that they were inadvertently
caused by the vwm (pager) in my Win2k window manager (LiteStep), and
KDE's awesome session management changed those few potential problems
into minor annoyances.

There is one problem I can report:  I simultaneously have an ionwm X
session running at display 1:0 and the KDE X session running at display
0:0.  When the clipboard is activated on the ionwm session, all is
well.  When I use KDE with the clipboard integration, it causes some
strange problems with Microsoft Excel.  Basically, if I copy something
in Excel and KDE happens to be running with clipboard integration, then
I cannot paste what I copied back into Excel (a series of cells, for
instance).  Excel's 12-level (this is Office 2000) clipboard memory
tells me that *two* clipboard items were created when I did the copy,
the most recent of the two being an unidentified object.  Since this
doesn't work when KDE is not running, I'm presuming that there's some
problem caused by the clipboard integration and the way it prepares
objects for KDE.  Anyway, this is not a critical problem, but I thought
I'd mention it.

Last question (or two):  I'm familiar with KDE/Cygwin, and I'm familiar
with CyGNOME, but are there other projects outside the main Cygwin
repositories for Cygwin-compatible programs?  Obviously, I can compile a
lot of stuff on my own (ionwm was such an example), but it can be a
major pain sometimes (ionwm was such an example), and I'm prefer to find
more binary repositories for third-party applications.  Also, is there
any central listing of such repositories anywhere?

Thank you much.  :)

--
  -JC
  http://www.jc-news.com/coding/freedom/