[KDE 3.1.1] kded.exe incessantly browses thru filesystemwhenidling - high cpu usage for nothing

Heribert Slama slama-h at gmx.net
Thu Sep 4 23:00:55 CEST 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:28:36 +0200, in gmane.comp.kde.devel.cygwin,
"Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker at freenet.de> wrote:

>[......]
>1. Increase the polling interval (for example to 10 minutes)
>
>$ cat /opt/kde3/share/config/kdedrc
>[DirWatch]
>PollInterval=10000

As I've already said, this reduces CPU consumption to an acceptable
level.

Now, I've just seen, that _konqueror_ as file manager plays the
"polling game"[tm], too;-)   It "watches" all directories that
are/were accessed in the current session; luckily only the dirs
themselves not their sub-dirs. The CPU load is tolerable (<5%). The
polling interval is the same 500ms _default_ as for kded's setting.

Best regards,
	-Heribert

P.S. [OT] to Ralf Habacker: Some of your CC-mails request a receipt.
I wouldn't mind giving them, but I can't pass them through the GMX
SMTP server.

FYI: I participate in this list via
news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.cygwin (my mailer,
Eudora, doesn't support threading;-)

--
Heribert Slama
Muttenz, Switzerland