KDE-Cygwin gurus, your advice is needed

Razmig K strontium90 at postmaster.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 20:30:08 CEST 2003

Dear KDE-Cygwin gurus,

I'm a computer science student and I'm locked into a world of microsoft windows machines at my university. I have very little experience when it comes to the whole story of open source UNIX systems.
But, becasue currently I have the option of developing on any platfrom using any compilation systems and GUI toolkits of my choise, as long as the output "runs" on a microsoft windows box, I'm determined to leave the world of proprietary software to those who are happy with it.

What bothers me in the first place, is that will a medium-size project that relies on Qt for it's GUI implementation and is designed to have some database and/or networking features "run" on the Qt/KDE Cygwin port on a microsoft windows box nearly as efficient as it's counterpart that runs natively on microsoft windows and was developed on the win32-based development tools, say mfc ? What predictability, performance and maintainability drawbacks shall I expect ?

Any help, hint or notification is greatly appreciated.
Please, forgive my mediocrity.
Thank you.
//rk