[patch] qlibrary_win.cpp

Dave Brondsema dave at brondsema.net
Thu Oct 9 19:29:19 CEST 2003

Quoting "Thiago A. Corrêa" <thiagoacorrea at uol.com.br>:

> But that's not the only place where there will be issues... I fixed some
> myself from kde-cygwin's version merging them into mine ( as I have UNICODE
> defined by default )

Eventually (after we get it mostly functional), we should make sure we implement
these better solutions everywhere.  Not just this unicode thing, but everywhere
that compile-time macros come into play.  Because we may not notice bugs if they
 only arise under different compilation circumstances.

> About license: I belive we can choose to only release the _win.cpp under
> GPL... the rest says that ppl who own a TT license can produce commercial
> stuff... I belive those who do have a license won't want our "bugged
> version" *smile*. But I guess it would be nice to TT if we keep their same
> license, allowing those with a license from TT to produce commercial apps,
> this way, they can merge our code into their code base, if we happen to do
> sth better than theirs.... honestly it's not very likely to happen soon, I
> read an article saying they have sth like 60 programmers working on Qt,
> while we have... some 3 (?).
>
> Notice however that sometimes we change just a couple of lines ( or doesn't
> change at all, as in QFile ) of the _unix.cpp or _x11.cpp to port, and those
> original files are GPL + QPL, so, I suppose we can't take out QPL of
> those.... I think the safer approach is to simply copy the license header
> from the _x11.cpp we are porting.
>
> Anyway, I like the idea that TrollTech could benefit from our efforts
> anyway... And it should, at least it should attract more programmers who
> don't have 2k dollars to spend.

I agree.  And we play on the safe side by dual-licensing our code.  Meaning,
Trolltech can't ever say "you modified some of our code and removed the QPL
license".

--
Dave Brondsema
dave at brondsema.net